Practical Matters

Soon after a bereavement, you may be very busy with practical matters. During a time of emotional stress it can be hard to concentrate, so, if you feel unable to cope with the work involved, don’t be afraid to ask for help.

If you have been bereaved, there is usually quite a lot of paper work to attend to, especially if you are an executor of a will (if there is one). A solicitor will assist you if you need one, or, if the estate is very simple to deal with, you could ask a trusted friend or relative to help you. The local Citizens Advice Bureau can help you if you are not sure what to do.

Talk to your Funeral Director about financing the funeral. They will be able to help you with advice on department of works and pensions DWP claims, or any other funding that may be available to help with costs.

If you have joint accounts, you will need to contact your bank/building society to arrange for these to be amended to your name only. Usually these accounts pass by survivorship and from a practical point of view are fairly simple to deal with.

Funeral expenses are usually the first call on a persons estate. Upon receiving the final invoice of the funeral account, take it along with a copy of the death certificate and the bank/building society will usually issue a cheque for the amount of the funeral paid payable directly to the Funeral Director.

There are many more matters to be dealt with, but don’t worry they can be dealt with over a period of time, when you feel you can do so.

DWP … There is still help available from the Department for Work and Pensions. The Grant/Loan is means tested.

Contact your nearest job centre to ask your entitlement, they will usually ask your National Insurance Number and to fill out FORM SF200 once the funeral has taken place, however, they should be able to confirm if you are eligible for financial assistance. The amount they issue may vary depending on each individual case.